Thursday, October 25, 2007

Gazal by Galib... Yeh na thi hamari kismat...

-Yeh na thi hamari kismat ki wisaal-e-yaar hota,
agar aur jeete rehte yahee intezaar hota!

It was not my destiny that I unite with my love.
I would have waited for the moment, if I would have lived till then…

-Tere wade par jiye hum toh yeh jaan zoot jana,
main khushee se mar na jaati agar eitabaar hota

If you think that I lived on your promise, that’s not the situation…
Wouldn’t have I died with joy, if I’d been sure that you are trustworthy!

-Hue mar ke hum jo rusawa, hue kyo na gharg-e-dariya
na kabhee janaaza uthata, na kahee mazaar hota..

Have I gained ill fame in death? Why didn’t I go and get drown in sea?
(Not very sure of the meaning…)
Corps would not have taken to burial ground, no tomb would be seen!

-Koee mere dil se poonche, ki yeh teer-e-neem kash ko
Yeh khalish kahaan se hotee jo jigar ke paar hota

Ask my heart- the way you have aimed the arrow,
Wouldn’t have I bled in silence, if it’d been at right place in my heart!

-Kahoon kis se main ke kya hai, shab-e-gham buri bala hai,
mujhe kya bura tha marna ? agar ek baar hota

To whom should I tell? Dark nights of sorrows (of separation) are difficult…
I would have better died; I would have suffered just once!

-Yeh masaail-e-tasawwuf, yeh tera bayaan Galib,
tujhe hum walee samajhate, jo na baada_khwaar hota.

Galib, your thinking and phrases are great!
If we’d not seen your drunken side, we would have called you a saint!

16 comments:

Ani said...

Thanks for the translation! That was great! Love the ghazal :-(

Unknown said...

check out

http://adamghalib.googlepages.com/

Pranab said...

Thanks for the translation,I could'nt understand few phrases but now I got the meaning.Thanks very much.

zoya said...

First , thank you. I've often wondered what this ghazal means. Your translation helps answer that eternal query.

Secondly, that part where you've written you aren't quite sure of its meaning.

"Hue marr ke hum jo ruswa... na kahin mazaar hota"

Well, it means this --


Even in death I found dishonor/disgrace, Why didn't I drown in a sea instead. That way there would've been no funeral for me, no tomb erected in my name. (i.e. If I drowned at sea, I would've left the world without a trace, without any tangible proof of my existence and/or death.)

Deepa said...

Thanks for the translation! Can't thank you enough! :)

Sun said...

very nice...i'm glad with ur help i cud understand this beautiful so well...pls keep up the gud work

Thinker said...

zoya: agreeed..........
can u plz do paraphrasing in urdu..
i need it,.........

Thinker said...

can u plz do its paraphrasing ..................plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...
i need it ,........

Thinker said...

paraphrasing in urdu...........plzzzzzzzzzzzz:(

PREETAM said...

thanks to galib,,after so many years we still need you to find the right words for the right moment!!

PREETAM said...

bah,galib,,after so many years we still need you to fiind the right words for the right moment!!

Anonymous said...

wow

Unknown said...

It is so beautiful... it makes me cry..

-Koee mere dil se poonche, ki yeh teer-e-neem kash ko
Yeh khalish kahaan se hotee jo jigar ke paar hota..

Rahul (coder000.com) said...

Ghalib's lines have various layers if we approach it with mind. Our hearts can process the various layers all at once.

One example to illustrate the depth:

koi mere dil se pooche, tere teer-e-neem kash ko,
ye khalish kahan se hoti, jo jigar ke paar hota

here:
teer = arrow,
neem kash = if you visualize how an arrow is actually fired... the string is pulled tight and then released. now, visualize, if someone fires at you from a close distance, with fully drawn string... the arrow will cross your heart and leave you an still go ahead... pain, but arrow outside you after a brief time....
but what happens if the string is pulled only lightly (neem kash)?
it will pierce your heart but will not have enough energy to leave you, it will always be stuck there... and pain when the arrow doesn't leave your person, and gets stuck there, is not imaginable...

now you see the meaning of these lines?

Rakesh said...

Here Ghalib refers to the half hearted glances thrown by the lover.
The pain this generates is but a source of pleasure for me.

Rakesh said...

Here Ghalib refers to the half hearted glances thrown by the lover.
The pain this generates is but a source of pleasure for me.